It is important in a project to keep very good documentation.
It should be complete, organised, and easy to search (not unorganised folders on lots of team members desks where no on knows where parts are).
- This improves the projects legal standing.
- Reduces miscommunication problems.
- Clarifies scope, variations, design, etc.
- Allows team members to easily find and access project information (without having to go around asking other team members)
- Allows new team members or a replacement project manager to join the project easier.
- Reduces wasted time.
- Allows audits to run smoothly (I find that if your documentation is properly organised the auditors give you a lot less hassle, and you get a good audit report).