Make sure your team members know their roles, job description, and what they should be working on.
You as the project manager or line manager should define and clarify the role each team member plays.
When they first start, they should be given:
- Clear directions on what they should do
- What they are responsible for
- Their scope (what they can and cannot change)
- Who to report to
- A buddy for procedural questions
- The next tasks for them to work on once they finish the first one. This allows them to keep working if they finish one task and cannot find you to get directions on the next task.
There should be no confusion on what they are supposed to be doing, how they should do it, and where they can find the tools to do the task.