Be careful of scope creep.
Scope creep is where small additions or changes add up to contribute a larger and larger change in the scope of the project, often affecting delivery time and costs.
A few lessons I learnt:
- If scope is changed or more is asked for, submit variations before proceeding.
- If scope is changed you should ask for more money and more time.
- Always be aware that the time to completion may change with a changed scope.
- Even small additions add up to enough to increase the time to completion.
- Make sure to get written approval from the client before additions, variations, or scope change.